At some point or another we have familiarized ourselves with the proverb, ‘never mix business with pleasure.’ However, there is a certain ambiguity the word pleasure connotes. If you find physical fitness pleasurable, then you surely can mix the two! If you’re stuck behind a desk all day, there is no reason why you can’t also break a sweat! Just to get the gears going, I’ve compiled some of my favorite office exercises you can perform without leaving the workplace!
- “The Walk and Talk”– Get fit while building a positive reputation! When you have a few minutes to spare, lap the office a couple times and say ‘hello’ to everyone on your floor. This way when the office buzz starts, you’ll be known as the nice-guy (or gal) who is quite the friendly one! (Not to mention the cardio you’re also sneaking in!)
- “Pusher-upper”– Perhaps the 2 o’clock blues have hit you hard today or you need a quick pick-me-up. Desk push-ups are a great way to warm your body and boost your energy levels.
- Before performing this exercise, make sure your desk is sturdy enough to support your weight. Once the coast is clear, place your hands on the edge of the desk and walk backwards until you have achieved a high plank position. (Shoulders should be directly over your hands, feet together and core tight!)
- “Up, down, up, down”– Many jobs require sitting down for long hours, which is not healthy for our joints. When you’re feeling rambunctious, perform several sets of chair squats.
- Stand up from your chair and then squat to sit back down. Every time your tush touches the seat, immediately stand back up. If you want to make this even harder, you can take away the chair altogether and hold that seated squat position.
- “Dip it low”– The chair is a great piece of equipment for in-office exercises. After you’ve completed your chair squats, perform a set or two of chair dips. This is a fabulous movement to engage the upper body and the core.
- Sit on the edge of your chair and place your hands behind your hips so they are firmly planted on the seat. Lift your tush off the chair and slowly push your body downward. A good measurement for depth is when your elbows have reached a 90º.
What’s your favorite office exercise? Tell me all about it below!
By: Rebecca Nathan